About Me

My photo
Singer/Composer/Writer married to an extremely beautiful and loving wife, with 2 gorgeous girls in college and the sweetest little boy, (6 yrs old). If you're a fan, check out both my blogs, "Melancholy Meanderings" and "Love and Other Bruises".

The Show

I wrote this shortly after my stint as a worship leader was done. Not trying to be confrontational, or controversial... this is my personal journey and I invite those who care to commiserate to do so... those who don't are certainly welcome to their stance as well... I would never claim to have all the answers... just the feelings...


The Show

There’s a face you show to strangers
There’s a face you show to friends
There’s a face you show while singing until the music finally ends
There’s a face you show for pain, there’s a face you show for joy
There’s a face
That’s set in place
To hide that you’re annoyed

But I never dare
To try and share
The face that You gave me
I guess it’s time
For a face that’s mine
Revealing what You see

If that means that I’m done singing
And it’s time to just let go
That’s alright with me
Cuz Lord, You see
I’m tired of “The Show”


“The Show” has to be just right
It has to run on time
It must be fresh, it must be light, must not step out of line
We must keep people coming, perfection understood
Details consume
And take more room
Than they ever should

But I rarely pause
To consider cause
Or to simply stop and be
I want the chance
To laugh and dance
And feel the joy You bring

If that means that I’m done singing
And it’s time for me to go
It’s alright with me
Cuz Lord, You see
I’m tired of the show

And if it means that I’m done hiding
because you're asking me to grow
It’s ok with me
Cuz You’ve set me free
to live a life without "The Show"

1 comment:

Greg said...

Really like this one. Have I seen it before? Seems familiar... you said you wrote it a while ago, so maybe you've shared it with me before. Anyway, I think it's a hugely important part of life - not putting on a show. For other people, or for God. It starts with him though (learning that we can be completely ourselves, and he still loves us), and then filters through the rest of our life (inside and out). Good stuff.